Following family

To assure that your family life remains intact even after moving to Germany, a permit of residence is granted to family members – i.e. marriage partners and children under 18 years of age (Family reunification). This also applies to Germans who wish to bring over their foreign spouse or life partner.

What do you need for family reunification?

Permit of settlement

or permit of residence

Sufficient living space

for you and your family members

Secure income

for you and your family members

Evidence basic skills in German

(Level A1) for your arriving spouse

German language skills
At the Goethe Institute, for example, Level A1 corresponds to the Start 1 course.

Familie hält sich nacheinander an der Hand

Info & immigration authorities

The requirements for family reunification are very comprehensive and cannot be described here in full detail. We therefore expressly recommend you approach the relevant Aliens Authority office well before relocating your family.

© Pexels